Thursday, December 2, 2021

Advent Calendar: December 2nd

 

For the Birds
oil on canvas
9" x 12"

I've painted many a birdfeeder in my day.  Birdfeeder pictures, that is...I'm not a crazy person.  This one (that one, up there) happens to hang a hop, skip, and a jump from my back door...twenty feet or so, as the crow flies.  I'm pretty sure it was my grandmother's birdfeeder.  She took care of those winged-beasts better than I.  Proof of this can be found in my lawn from time to time with a bare foot and a screech.  Those damned thistles pop up ever year, always in the softest patches of grass where I like to nap, as a result of the multiple feeders my grandmother would fill with thistle seed and place randomly throughout the yard.  She loved the goldfinches, you know?  Now, each time I impale my foot and frighten every full-bellied bird to rapid flight with ensuing f-word-filled fits, I think of my grandmother, the bird-loving kindergarten teacher who drove an enormous Lincoln and burned most things she cooked.  And when I soak those spiny little bastards with "Killzall" weed killer, I think of my grandfather, the bird-indifferent lawncare enthusiast who drove an enormous pickup truck and preferred his meals "well-done."

Sorry about the cursing, Nana.  Sorry about the yard, Papu.  For better or worse, I'll keep filling the feeders...but I think it might be for the birds.

If you'd like to purchase the painting above, please contact Wyatt via his website: CLICK HERE

23 days 'til Christmas...