Thursday, December 23, 2021

Advent Calendar: December 23rd

I was going to write about another old lady in a mobility scooter, but I changed my mind.  Get over it.  Instead, I'm remembering Larry.  If you don't know who I'm talking about, shame on you.  He was the best painter I've known and the best friend I've had.  He'd make fun of me for writing all of this.  Then, he'd make fun of you for reading all of this.  Jesus Criminently! 


Tree on the Hill
oil on canvas
9" x 12"

"What're you painting a tree for?"


Morning Storms
oil on canvas
9" x 12"

I painted this while teaching a workshop with Larry.  I'm pretty sure I did the demonstration while he stood back and heckled me the entire time.  "When is it going to start looking good?"


GMC
oil on canvas
11" x 14"

This was from the Airedale farm I've spoken of a time or two.  Larry referred to it as "the sweet spot," but anyone else who knew him referred to the farm as "Larry's Favorite Spot."  He gave the owners of the farm a fabulous painting that could've gone to a museum...and they put it in a yard sale the following year...classic.


Hydroelectric
oil on canvas
12" x 16"

This was painted in the morning with the help of black coffee and apricot brandy.  Later that evening, Larry and I returned to this same spot to eat two supreme pizzas.  


Spring Green
oil on canvas
16" x 20"

On the day I painted this one, Larry took me on a tour of the lesser-known nooks and crannies of southwestern Indiana.  While walking through a swampy area in shorts and flip flops, we came across the largest Cottonmouth I've ever seen.  He waited until I leaned over it for a better look to then poke it with a stick and yell, "You better run!"


That Barn
oil on canvas
12" x 16"

We had about six "Canadian Wonders" a piece while painting here.


House of Chicken
oil on canvas
11" x 14"

We painted this chicken coop and then ate fried chicken with two monks.  Larry asked them A LOT of questions.


Fences
oil on canvas
16" x 20"

Larry stood in the doorway of this building with his pants down for a full ten minutes before I noticed him.  I didn't include him in the picture...obviously.  


Hat Rock
oil on canvas
11" x 14"

We painted this rock formation on a river in Oregon.  While we were there, we watched a group of people dressed up as Jesus and his disciples pretend to be Jesus and his disciples for a film crew.  So, there's a chance that some low-budget Christian film circa 2017 features a couple ornery plein air painters in the far distance, on the opposite bank of the river. 


Homer Spit
oil on canvas
16" x 20"

This is the painting that was being painted during the legendary Yak experience.  Thankfully, we were only scared by a goose and not murdered by the pilot of Yellow Thunder.


Patrol Car
oil on canvas
6" x 8"

We didn't get arrested that evening...just scolded a little bit.


Depot
oil on canvas
11" x 14"

Have you ever seen a sixty-seven-year-old man try to stop a train by holding his hand out and yelling, "Stop, damn it!"?  I have.


River Road Bridge
oil on canvas
16" x 20"

I come to this place once a year to paint.  I bring a case of Miller Lite with me, because Larry always said, "Water?  That stuff will kill ya!"


Viking Guard
oil on canvas
12" x 16"

We were going to get tattoos after this day of painting, but we both got too sunburnt.  Our plan was this:  1.) Drive to Spokane.  2.) Find a tattoo parlor.  3.) Convince tattoo artist person to let us handle the equipment.  4.) With no preparatory sketch or planning, tattoo one another.  5.) Reveal our tattoos to one another.

I planned on inking him with a dead bird on a slice of pizza.  I never told him this because I figured we'd get around to doing it eventually.  I'm too embarrassed to say what I think he was planning on putting on my shoulder...I'm certain he would've tried for something that would keep me wearing a shirt in the swimming pool. 

Raise a glass to Larry.

If you'd like to purchase the painting above, please contact Wyatt via his website: CLICK HERE

2 days 'til Christmas...