Monday, July 10, 2017

Sometimes I Sometimes


For anyone out there that might actually like to hear me talk about painting...

Here's what two hours on a Saturday afternoon looks like.  I painted these pictures while passing the time between dips in the swimming pool.  They aren't much, but these are the types of paintings I love doing...I'm sentimental some of the time.  I'm also pretty sporadic in my productivity.  There are times when I really enjoy coming home and working with some type of regularity.  Those times come in between longer stints of relative laxness.  I've got some shows coming up, which means I'll be painting more than usual, and I'm looking forward to it.  I'm also looking forward to not painting for a while after the pictures are delivered.  What will I do?  Practice my free throws and ball handling, most likely. 

Sometime in the next few weeks, few months, or few years, I'll be updating my website a bit.  That means some of the paintings featured online will be replaced with newer work.  I'm not a salesman, but some of you might be interested in perusing www.legrandartstudio.com for some pictures, as they'll be more difficult to track down after they leave the website.  Find something you like, get in touch via wyattlegrand@gmail.com, and I'll get back to you with some fine prices.  

You know, a $50 shirt at Banana Republic is probably worth every bit of that $50.  While it's displayed on the mannequin in the window, $50 is a bargain, because you know if you don't buy it, someone else will.  Nothing's worse that seeing somebody in the super trendy shirt that should've been yours.  Usually, all the shirts in the window sell out.  Now, if for some odd reason, one of the window shirts doesn't sell, you'll probably find it a couple weeks later with a 25% off tag on a hanger behind something trendier.  And what if nobody happens to stumble across that incredible deal?  Well, a week later, you can most likely walk to the very back of the store and find the shirt mixed in with dozens of other post-mannequin worn masterpieces with a bright orange $15 sticker on the sleeve.  And every once in a while, because of some fluke in the taste of the shirt-wearing majority, a truly incredible shirt will slip through the consumer cracks and find itself at the Banana Republic Outlet.  Like a needle in a stack of dirty laundry, your new favorite shirt is waiting for you, just a few weeks after it's reveal as the hippest of hip...all you have to do is search a little and visit the fitting room.  When all is said and done, you buy a $50 shirt for ten bucks.  Banana Republic won't tell your friends you got a steal of a deal.  Your friends will be envious of your fashion sensibility.  You win.  And if your tastes in collared, button-downs changes, or your gut grows faster than the color fades, you can always sell it to Plato's Closet for a five dollar bill.

Artists don't bargain.  Artwork is worth whatever an artist says it's worth.  The value of a piece of art, well, that's determined by something else entirely, isn't it?  Luckily for me, I just paint pictures and let painted picture collectors figure everything out for me.  The back of the store is at www.legrandartstudio.com.  Please, scan your items at wyattlegrand@gmail.com.  Eat your heart out, Eric Rhoads.