Friday, July 21, 2017

Rose-Hulman


I currently have thirty-eight paintings on display in Moench Hall of Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in Terre Haute, Indiana.  The group of work I selected is a smorgasbord of subjects from the past three years.  The show looks great (thanks Christy) and will be up through December.  There will be a reception on Thursday, December 7th, if you're into that sort of thing.  I hope to see you there, but if you stop in sometime sooner, treat yourself to a walk through the halls and library.  Rose-Hulman has a great collection of artwork and a beautiful campus to enjoy.

Here's my two cents on the show, for what it's worth...

7/19/17
         This group of work features sentimental subjects that have become increasingly prevalent in my paintings; my wife, my grandparents, my home, and my travels.  My wife, our beloved pets, and I live in the house my grandparents built in Bloomfield, Indiana.   
         My grandparents died within a few months of one another.  My grandmother was a school teacher for most of her life.  My grandfather was an affable, but stubborn mule of a man.  They fell in love when they were young and grew old together.  As their health faded and they were forced to seek treatment in different facilities, it became obvious they struggled living without one another.  My grandfather had Alzheimer’s and forgot most things, except how much he missed my grandmother.  
          In recent years, I’ve been able to travel a great deal.  While the search for excitement and new subjects is a thrill, being away from home has had a lasting impact on my views of life here in Indiana.  As I learned with my grandparents in their final years, I continue to discover through my own travels that defining what you love is often dependent upon finding what you can’t live without.  As much as I enjoy adventure, I love returning home.
          I do not believe a painting can be measured as an artwork based solely on how well it’s painted and regardless of what is painted.  A great painting about nothing is just decoration.  At the risk of being overly sentimental, I continue to find the greatest inspiration in searching for art in the people, places, and events closest to me.