Tuesday, July 4, 2017

30 Days in a Van

So, I didn't actually quit painting, or golfing.  I've never been golfing.  I'd like to go golfing, but I have no idea how that works.  I can mini-putt with the best of them though...

I spent the last month on a roadtrip with a friend of mine.  It was a "seat of the pants" experience that will go down in history as one of the wildest adventures two picture painters from Indiana ever lived through.  I might be exaggerating, but I promise, not by much.  We fought off wild animals, sampled the finest gas station cuisine, exchanged gifts with ex-serial killers, barely escaped incarceration at customs, and drove a broken van 12,000 miles with no air conditioning.  We traveled through 11 states, 2 provinces, and 1 territory in search of subject matter.  We painted well over 100 pictures of mountains, glaciers, waterfalls, waves, forests, old boats, old cars, trashcans, campsites, statues, and volcanic activity.  Holy moly, it was a trip.  

I could go on and on, but I won't.  I'll let the stories come about as they may...I'll keep the rest for myself.  But if you're curious, here's an abbreviated list of the places we traveled to and through...

Badlands National Park, Black Hills National Forest, Mount Rushmore, The Crazy Horse Monument, Thunder Basin National Grassland, Boysen State Park, Shoshone National Forest, Jackson Hole, Grand Teton National Park, Yellowstone National Park, Custer Gallatin National Forest, Flathead National Forest, Blackfeet Indiana Reservation, Glacier National Park, Bow Valley Provincial Park, Banff National Park, Lake Louise, Jasper National Park, Columbia Icefields, BC Highway 37 and the Alaskan Highway, The Yukon, Johnson's Crossing, Kuane National Park, Wrangell-St. Elias National Park, Chugach State Park and National Forest, Homer, Denali National Park, Anchorage, Hell's Gate, Port Angeles, Olympic National Park, Neah Bay and the Makah Indian Reservation, Ruby Beach, Mt. Ranier National Park, Yakama Indian Reservation, Big Hat State Park, Sprague, C'oeur d'Alene and Lolo National Forests, the Lucky Friday Silver Mine, and a bunch of stuff in between. 

If you make it to the end of the road in Homer, Alaska, look for our dollar bill at the Salty Dawg.