Tuesday, July 19, 2016

The Adventure, Part 3, The Desert


When I left Grand Canyon, I prepared myself for a few days in the desert.  I had already traveled through north central New Mexico and Arizona, but I knew the desert landscape was soon to become even more desolate and harsh.  I found a nice little town to stop for lunch.  They had a Wal-Mart, so I decided to get an oil change.  My trusty Subaru started burning oil several road trips ago.  I love my Forester, but the recent discovery that oil consumption in vehicles like mine is a common, potentially disastrous, and practically unfixable, left me a bit paranoid about the reliability of my most important asset on the trip…my transportation.  My owner’s manual suggests oil changes every 5,000 - 7,500 miles, unless you’ve been driving in “extreme conditions”.  At the 100,000 mile mark, I can tell you, driving at 70+ mph for 10+  hours a day is what they meant by “extreme”.  I estimated I was burning a quart of oil every 1,000 miles or so, which wasn’t the most comforting thing to have in the back of my mind.  I purchased 5 quarts in addition to the fresh 5 they put in, bought some beef jerky, and got back on the road.  While waiting on “Tire & Lube Express”, I organized my CD’s for the upcoming few days.  I still listen to CD’s.  I love my music and I’m a big fan of “the album”.  What I mean is, I love songs that are arranged in a purposeful order by the artist, to be listened to from beginning to end.  I know you can do this with an MP3 player, but the physical act of choosing the album and placing the CD into the player is one of those romantic things that I love…super romantic on a trip through the desert.  Fortunately for me, a lot of the music I listen to isn’t geared towards the pop single and often from a time when entire albums were played on vinyl, with sides and stuff…which I think is more attuned to a beginning-to-end listening experience.  Anyhow, I enjoyed organizing a “playlist” that included Jackson Browne (ultimate road music, especially after a stop in Winslow, AZ a couple days prior), Drive-by-Truckers (I was inspired by the last song on English Oceans, Grand Canyon), Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, Wilco, T Rex, Nick Drake, Otis Redding, Little Feat, The National, Pavement, Howlin Wolf, Neil Young, Screaming Females, Whiskeytown, Jason Isbell, Sam Cooke, The Black Crowes, Lightnin Hopkins, Waylon Jennings, Bad Religion, The Replacements, John Lee Hooker, Sturgill Simpson, Grateful Dead, My Morning Jacket, Cat Power, Sylvan Esso, and probably a few others I can’t think of at the moment.  Funny enough, for the amount of music I designated as “desert mix”, I ended up having to break into another CD binder thingy before moving to less arid landscapes.  I love having new experiences while with good music blasting through the stereo…I think it helps me remember those experiences like scenes in a movie or something. 

I was on my way to Las Vegas.  I hadn’t really intended to stop there, but my schedule made sense of it.  I wanted to end up in Death Valley the next morning, and Las Vegas was the most logical stopping point.  So, with Vegas as my evening destination, and a lot of brutal heat left in the day, I decided to take another break at the Hoover Dam.  It was over 100 degrees by this point.  The combination of the canyon and enormous amount of concrete held the heat like an oven…it was quite unpleasant.  I awed at the scale it all.  I took a tour and a selfie, then got back on the road.  Seeing that much man-made wonder is a weird thing.  On the short trip from the dam to “the strip”, I thought a lot about the lifetimes spent building…roads, cities, monuments, and the like.  There is a certain type of irony at play while standing on an enormous, man-made river obstruction, listening to a tour guide describe the millions-of-years-process nature used to carve the canyon dwarfing everything within it.  As I pulled into a parking garage behind a huge man-made replica of a huge man-made French monument, I started to feel like a real sleaze ball.  I was in Paris.  The Paris Resort that is.  I was in Las Vegas…the capital of sleaze.

I planned on splurging a bit in Vegas so that I could have the total “Las Vegas strip experience”.  Turns out, I didn’t have to splurge at all…hotel rooms are dirt cheap.  I ended up with some snazzy suite with a view of the Bellagio for $80.  Okay…not dirt cheap, but significantly less than I figured I’d have to spend.  I guess I owe all of you slot machine feeders, buffet eaters, and desert oasis entertainment connoisseurs a thank you.  I walked around for a couple hours seeing the sights.  One of the major thrills was seeing at least a thousand “adult calling cards” stuck in the vertical metal teeth of an escalator.  It was a beautiful sight at a distance…little moving bits of neon and flesh moving towards the sky.  No doubt, there was a lot to look at.  After some exploring, I had the great pleasure of meeting two former students for dinner.  Social media and text messaging brought us together over a thousand miles away from our hometown.  We had a nice meal and laughed a lot.  I was pretty excited to see people I knew after several days on my own.  Moreover, I was ecstatic that my students would want to “hang out” with me while on vacation, as they actually drove quite a distance to meet up with me.  It’s pretty cool that they’re getting to see the country at such a young age.  Both students are super smart, mature, and motivated…they’re going to do great things.  I worried about them making it back to their lodgings for the evening while roaming the streets, watching the performers, paying too much for drinks, and pretending I was George Clooney or any of those other cool guys from Ocean’s Eleven while standing in front of the Bellagio’s fountain show.  I got to bed relatively early in preparation for the next morning.  I checked out and hit the road as many were getting back to their rooms after a long night of whatever you do all night in Vegas.  What a funky place…I think I’ll go back to watch the magicians.  

I started driving northwest so that I could make a turn to the southwest.  It wasn’t long until I was in California.  I planned on driving through Death Valley as the sun came up.  The further I drove toward my goal destination of Badwater Basin, the more alien the landscape began to look.  The mountains began to glow orange and the temperature began to rise quickly, even though the sun hadn’t actually broke into my view yet.  I passed several “wild horses” and wondered why they chose to be wild in one of the most brutal places on Earth.  I came to the conclusion that being free involves some type of sacrifice, in this case, learning to survive a place where they probably shouldn’t.  I eventually got to the lowest point in North America.  Of course, there was a roadside pull-off to appreciate the landmark.  I got out of the car and walked through the salt, beyond the shadow cast by the ridge behind me, and continued until I was just shy of a mile away from any type of shelter from the elements.  I sat down in the salt and listened to the least amount of noise I’ve ever heard.  I’m guessing the absolute isolation and extra atmosphere gained below sea level contributed to the lack of sound.  Whatever the reason, it was an experience I won’t forget.  I had a lot of “spiritual experiences”, for lack of a better term, on this trip and Death Valley definitely took me to a different place.  I think there’s a certain amount of “prove it to myself” mentality when taking a trip like this, and the slight dangers associated with traveling alone in relatively untraveled areas become addictive.  For about an hour, while sitting in “hell on Earth”, I really started to feel a weird sense of accomplishment.  I sweat through all of my clothes and walked back to the car.  I was on my way out of Badwater Basin by 8:30 am, but it was already over 100 degrees.  I pushed on through the Mojave Desert.  I saw towering dunes, lake-like mirages, and even lost the road a couple times in an apparent windy area.  The temps continued to climb and I became increasingly uncomfortable in the car.  I really think I began to love the desert for the same reasons I hated it.  It was too hot to inhabit, void of most living things, and continuously threatening.  I found a great thrill in driving through a place I knew I couldn’t survive, should some catastrophe occur.  After sweating through another shirt (I rarely turned on my AC during the trip…I’m a windows down type of guy), I made it to Baker, where I was greeted by the world’s largest thermometer.  It read 112 degrees.  I stopped for gas, hopped on highway 15, and imagined I was driving a 1971 Impala convertible with bats chasing me (some of you might get that reference).  I was on my way to Bakersfield, where I’d then turn north towards the High Sierra’s.