Saturday, July 9, 2016

Another from IHA

Because I didn't paint or write anything of worth today, I'm posting old news.  Here's another painting from the Indiana Heritage Arts Exhibit.  You can still see this one at the Brown County Art Gallery in Nashville, Indiana.  The subject is of personal importance, as this is a part of Bloomfield that I frequented as a youngster.  South Seminary was "the other side of town" (a whopping mile and a half or so from my house), but a quick bike ride would deliver me to this little intersection of city streets and railroad.  There was a bicycle shop around the corner, where I would often stop to pick up tubes for my busted tires.  A few of my squirrely friends lived nearby and would always come out for a game of wiffle ball or "ding dong ditch".  The tracks served as a shortcut when running for the school's cross country team...not a particularly fast one, but we convinced ourselves it was worth the risk.  And that blue glow in the center...that's the soda machine in front of what used to be Joe's Pizza.  Joe's was a common meeting place after basketball games and staple of a young Bloomfieldian's diet.  And see that utility pole on the right?  I remember being stuck on this little street, waiting for a train to pass as my buddies and I were covering the town with concert fliers for our band's upcoming gig.  We played regularly at the teen center up the street.  I must've stuck ten posters on that pole before hopping back in the car and cruising on down the road.  I even remember the album that was blaring from my stereo that afternoon..."Full Circle" by Pennywise.  Good times.



"South Seminary"
oil on canvas
22" x 28"