Friday, July 8, 2016

My return to Indiana, luck, and other things...

I have returned...

For the 3 or 4 of you out there who probably didn't notice, I've been posting even less than usual.  As promised, I'm back from my adventure.  Adventure is probably too much of a word to describe what I actually did, but I'm going to keep that ball rolling.  I basically just went on a massive road trip.  I drove 10,282 miles through Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah, Colorado, and Kansas.  I painted quite a bit, did a lot of hiking, met up with some great friends, and saw as much of the country as I could in a month's time.  While the trip was conceived as a plein air painting tour of sorts, it quickly turned into something more sacred for me.  And if anything competes with the sensation of being all alone, days away from anything you know, searching for things you've never experienced, it's the satisfaction of reminiscing about it all from a place you can call home.  I'll post a vague synopsis of the trip in over the next week or so, but let me tell you, I'm glad to be back in Indiana.

Speaking of Indiana...while I was gone, I missed the 92nd Annual Indiana Heritage Exhibition.  It's always a great display of Indiana talent and I hated to miss the opening.  The good news...three of my paintings were accepted and one received the "Silver Award".  Unfortunately, a big part of "being an artist" today seems to be tooting your own horn when appropriate.  As much as I may toot, I really hate it.  But...it helps knowing that it's all just a matter of luck anyway.  Here's"to gambling...and adventure.


"Sheep"
oil on canvas
30" x 30"