Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Mice and Men


"Trapped"
oil on canvas
16" x 20"

Don't worry, I'll get right back on track with the $250 paintings...

But...

I just wanted to take a moment to recognize just how ridiculous everything is in the United States of America is at this very moment...as states are turning red and blue.  Like pretty much everyone else, republicans and democrats and all in between, I'm thoroughly upset about the presidential election.  I don't need to elaborate.  However, I'm even more upset about the ugliness the election has uncovered.  There are a lot of people out there who are incredibly uneducated, misinformed, and eager to defend a point of view that was adopted from some sort of social convention rather than earned through observation and introspection...to the point of blatant bigotry and hatred.  I can live with a president I don't care for, but to know there are so many people out there that will fight for views so contradictory to what we have been taught our country is supposed to stand for, and in the name of devout patriotism and God...that's hard for me to stomach.  People can be obtuse.  It's hard to reason with prejudice.  I'm afraid the sense of pride I want to feel for my country will be illusive, as long as so many of my countryman find pride in views so anchored in hate.  Are you more of a patriot for staunchly defending your own patriotism?

Evidently, the picture above has really upset some people.  It's funny how a painting of a dead mouse can cause such a fuss at a time like this.  I'm either underestimating the amount of people with voluntary rodent problems or I've failed to recognize how violent painting pictures can be.  Either way, I'm afraid the trap is set.