Saturday, March 31, 2018

Tip of the Hat


If you're a J.M.W. Turner fan like me,  you might want to visit the Met before May 13th.  Snow Storm: Hannibal and his Army Crossing the Alps is on loan from the Tate as a part of the Thomas Cole exhibit.  It's every bit the epic I was hoping it would be.  If you follow along, you'll know that this painting, Turner's other violent weather scenes and watercolor sketches, and Mark Rothko's later paintings have been constant references for me while working on my "Fires" series.  I was prepared to walk away from this picture ready to slash my canvases, but thankfully, I still feel pretty good about how my paintings work.  I've been worried that I'm only creating bad interpretations of stuff I admire.  Even though that might still be the case, I partially feel like I'm doing an average job at pursuing my own muses.  Somebody fairly important said, "Art is theft."  I just hope I'm stealing the right stuff. 

My wife and I had a great time doing NYC the right way during my spring break.  Museums, window shopping, and swanky restaurants till we dropped...have you Momofuku'd?