Saturday, March 24, 2018

Rusty Buckets


Falcon
oil on canvas
11" x 14"

When I was fifteen, I did what most fifteen-year-old Midwestern boys do...

I made a weekly trip to the corner gas station to pick up a free auto trader magazine.  The thrill of potentially owning any of the "cool" rust buckets featured in those semi-transparent pages far eclipsed the realization of a driver's license or reliable vehicle.  I found the car of my dreams cunningly tucked between images of Corvettes, Cadillacs, and other desirable classics.  It was a 1962 Ford Falcon Convertible.  It was sea foam green, sort of, with a beautiful rust and dirt patina.  It cost $1800.    

I probably don't have to tell you...I never got a Ford Falcon.  I can't remember how the conversation went, but my parents were quick to extinguish my aspirations of cruising town a la Rusty, Danny, and Tess with Benedict's bodyguards in pursuit.  It was probably for the best.  On the plus side, my dream car isn't a Hemi 'Cuda.