Monday, March 5, 2018


Front
oil on canvas
8" x 10"

Recent Work
March 2018
The Venue Fine Art, Bloomington, Indiana

When considering a theme for an exhibit, I typically start by thumbing through a wide variety of subjects leaning against the walls of my home.  Regardless of my focus on a particular concept at the outset, the collection of work finally hung in the gallery is almost always a careful selection from works created over several weeks of intermittent interest in many subjects and ideas.  I like to think I am always in the driver’s seat, but I usually discover the most powerful themes and connections in my work when admiring a hodgepodge of pictures cluttering my dining room.  Planned hindsight has always been my strongest collaborator.

The paintings and drawings selected for this show were created from life, from quick sketches, from paintings painted years ago, from memory, and from the screen of my iPhone.  The subjects of these works include people I love, people I barely know, landscapes from afar, and scenes from my backyard.  The common thread connecting each picture may not be pulled tight, but I am satisfied knowing I am the common thread.