Thursday, March 24, 2022

Nuts



I'm just a nut on a big ol’ tree
that's tryin’ real hard to stay real green
and get real strong and grow real tall
‘til the leaves turn yella then red then fall.
I'm just a nut just a blowin’ in the breeze,
wishin’ and a hopin’ to make more trees.
When the wind from the west comes blowin’ real hard,
I'll fall off of a limb and get buried in the yard.
And when the tree stops tryin’ and its trunk comes down,
I'll be waiting underneath in it's shadow underground
to sprout a little leaf through the earth for the sun
so I can grow a little bit bigger and become…
A little bitty tree just blowin’ in the breeze,
where a biggin' once stood that made room for me,
with my own green leaves that'll fill someday
the hole in the sky where my daddy did sway.
I'm just a nut on a big ol' tree,
with real big thoughts and real big dreams
about growin' up tall and growin' up strong…
and then a squirrel came by and ate me.