Monday, November 29, 2021

Advent Calendar: November 29th


Tavern at Night
oil on canvas
16" x 20"

This isn't a painting of a tavern, but rather a painting of my favorite spot on Tavern Street in New Harmony, Indiana.  I've painted this same scene at least a half dozen times during my annual April trips to the southwestern part of the state.  I always set up my easel more or less in the center of the street to take advantage of the street lamp included in the composition.  It's an important little light, as it creates the aesthetic that makes the scene worth painting while simultaneously providing the light necessary to paint said scene on location. It's all about that weird warm glow...without it, this ugly little slice of midwestern life would've gone unnoticed...for better or worse.  

I'd like to thank the fine folks of New Harmony for letting me impede traffic every spring.  The Rappites have always taken good care of me, despite my delinquent behavior.

If you'd like to purchase the painting above, please contact Wyatt via his website: CLICK HERE

26 days 'til Christmas...