Tuesday, November 7, 2017


"Height of Autumn"
oil on canvas
30" x 54"

Here's one from my Brookville trip a couple weeks ago.  It doesn't look like much as a reproduction, but I like the painting very much.  I didn't realize how large of a canvas it was until I secured it to my plein air easel...I could barely reach halfway up the surface before reworking my setup and taping a paintbrush to a long stick.  There's something invigorating about working this large out in the woods.  It's a physical challenge, but more so, it's a test of commitment.  Walk into the woods, stop in an arbitrary location, break out a canvas nearly as tall as you are, and paint whatever is on the other side of it in 90 minutes.  Knowing that you can successfully paint a huge picture of anything that's in front of you in any two hour period is freedom.