Monday, October 16, 2017

You Aren't Talented


"Teton Light"
oil on canvas 
12" x 12"

I'm not as good as I should be at anything worth mentioning, so don't be misled by anything I say.  But let me tell you, there is no such thing as "God-given talent".  Finding your "natural abilities" is no different than deciding you'll learn how to read and write.  Call me a liar and I'll call you lazy.  Only a self-portrait of a blind painter could change my mind.  

I'm not trying to give advice, but if I had to advise someone on finding his or her "gift", or "aptitude", or "calling", I'd say this...FORGET ABOUT IT.  THE CLOCK IS TICKING.  STOP SEARCHING FOR THINGS THAT DON'T EXIST AND GET BUSY DOING SOMETHING.  With any luck, when you get to be an old geezer, you'll discover you were halfway decent at something you really enjoyed...and hopefully that will be enough.  

I'd rather struggle to play a song for the rest of my life than play it perfect for the world only once.