Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Ball Game

I called my satellite television company and complained about how much I was paying.  They offered me a twenty percent discount and movie channels.  I took the deal.  Last night, I watched "Hoop Dreams".  It was one of my favorite movies growing up.  In fact, I would go to the VHS rental store every couple weeks and rent "Hoop Dreams", "Blue Chips", "The Pistol:  Birth of a Legend", and "Hoosiers".  I even had the "Hoop Dreams" movie poster from the VHS rental store.  The owner kindly sold it to me for a couple quarters and I proudly displayed it in my room, right next to my Alonzo Mourning / Larry Johnson poster.  My summer break revolved around swimming at the public pool, watching basketball movies, and practicing my jumpshot on the court at the First Baptist Church.  For those of you who aren't, I'm from Indiana...basketball is a church we all belong to.  Remind me, what's a Hoosier again? 

Last night, after "Hoop Dreams", I went to the town park to work on my jumpshot.  I was challenged to a 1-on-1 game by someone 10 years younger, menacingly barked at by two enormous dogs, and heckled by late night cruisers who are presumably my high school students.  I shot 109 for 150 free throws.  Seventy-three percent isn't bad...it certainly isn't good.  Is Gus Macker still a thing?  My feet hurt.  Last night was awesome.