Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Lesson Learned


Whitewater River
oil on canvas
12" x 16"

It's beautiful morning on the fringes of nowhere.  My good pal Larry and I had set out to paint pictures of the river.  We grab our gear, walk down the bank a ways, and get to work with about thirty feet between us.  When I finish my first painting of the river (above), I turn around and immediately begin a second painting of Larry (below).  I do this quite often.  I've got at least a dozen Larry paintings, most featuring his tattered IU ball cap.  I think it's clever, I guess.


Larry, Painting a Picture of Me, Painting the Whitewater River
oil on canvas
8" x 10"

Within about 45 minutes, we pack up and head back to the van with wet paintings in tow.  Larry asks his usual, "What'd ya get?"  I humor him and prop my two paintings up against the door.  He looks at the pictures, looks at me, and looks at the pictures again.  I know Larry well enough to recognize when he's setting up a joke...

He leans in with a slight smirk and says, "Oh...you needed two canvases, huh?" 

Larry props his single painting up between the two of mine...
"Amateur."


Larry's painting of the river and me (on just one canvas).