Saturday, June 23, 2018

Performance Art


Three Boats with Boat Maquette
oil on canvas, Lego and assorted junks
12" x 36"

Here is my painting from last night's demonstration at the Brown County Art Guild.  It was a lot of fun thanks to the great people that came out to humor me.  We talked a little bit about picture painting, but most of our conversation was focused on Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, John or Paul, and food.  I'd especially like to thank my friends that traveled all the way from Los Angeles, my biggest fan who is doing a great job establishing my official title as "Genius Wyatt LeGrand", and the sweet girls at the Guild that make it all work...Rachel and Roberta are the best. 

I wanted to create a painting for the upcoming maritime exhibit at the Guild, so I did something a little different to bring the water to me.  For a reference, I constructed a little boat from Lego's and foam board complete with oars made of old brushes and tape.  With a little paint and a baking pan filled with water, I had a pretty convincing model.  Yeah, it's kind of a gimmick.

But if a gimmick will put a couple dozen people in a small space with me to share an experience, I'll sellout every time.  The art of this is the artifice, not the artifact.  The act of painting will always be more artful than a finished picture.