Saturday, December 31, 2016

Hindsight is Insight


"Making America"
oil on canvas
11" x 14"

I wrote a lot about this painting and how it's not a political statement.  When I read it back, it all sounded awfully political.  It's funny...I feel more satisfied about my discussion of a topic after writing something I believe to be truly discerning, deleting that something, and then letting everyone know I replaced my attempt at intelligent writing with the acknowledgement of failure and my actual lack of insight.  I'm not sure that letting you know I'm incapable of writing out my thoughts is well-conceived, but it does seem to reinforce that old saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words".

Honestly, painting pictures lets me feel as if I'm saying something without actually tying myself to a certain sentiment, but I really know it's about the viewer saying whatever they want about me saying nothing at all.